The Riptide Program:
The Riptide program is a competitive extension of our recreational softball league and is for motivated players who are looking to take softball to the next level. The Riptide program has enjoyed rapid success and growth over years. Most recently the 12U Riptide won the USA State Championship in 2022.
Riptide has transitioned into a year-round program at the 10U, 12U and 14U level with outdoor practices and scrimmages occurring in the fall and spring, indoor practices in the winter, and tournaments in the summer. They play competitively in the Babe Ruth and USA Softball divisions. Riptide plays in the NH USA Softball A/B League. At 8U, the Riptides still compete at a competitive level, but in more of a 3-4-month window. Travel for these teams is generally within the New England region (many of which are within easy driving range) but a couple may require a night in a hotel (which is an additional expense) as coaches seek out tournaments that best fit their team. The bulk of the travel occurs during tournament season which occurs from mid June (upon the end of the Rec Season) through the end of July/ 1st Week in August.
As with all competitive programs, try-outs are held to roster a competitive team and playing time is not guaranteed for each player at each game (as teams play to win). Players will experience a wide range of skill levels based on the tournaments (and teams they are encountering). Girls can expect faster pitching, strong competition and a general advanced level atmosphere. They can also expect to have fun, as our teams all have in the past. The bond these girls build with their team is incredible, and something your daughter will remember for a long time.
Rosters are usually 11-12 players, but coaches are allowed some flexibility in regards to their personal preferences. Some coaches prefer an 11 player roster, others prefer 12, and some even choose to roster an alternate.
Just like most sports programs, Riptide requires a solid commitment to the team. Should your player be offered a spot, we kindly ask that you be willing and able to commit to being available for the majority of the summer season. We understand and expect that families/players will take time for a vacation at some point, and may miss an event. However, if your player will miss more than 2 weeks of the 6 week tournament season, Riptides probably not the best fit for your family’s schedule. Coaches work very hard spending a lot of time building schedules – they need to be confident in their ability to field a team for all scheduled events in order to provide the full season that families signed up for.
Age Groups for Summer teams ONLY:
- 8U – tryouts will be held in the spring of 2024
(The creation of an 8U Riptide program is dependent on the level of play available during tryouts).
For 10U and up, a player’s age as of August 31 determines the age in which the player
is eligible to play the following year.
- 10U (USA age cut offs) – A player whose 11th birthday is prior to September 1, 2023 is INELIGIBLE. Must be 10 years old or younger on August 31st, 2023.
- 12U (USA age cut offs) – A player whose 13th birthday is prior to September 1, 2023 is INELIGIBLE. Must be 12 years old or younger on August 31st, 2023.
- 14U (USA age cut offs) – A player whose 15th birthday is prior to September 1, 2023 is INELIGIBLE. Must be 14 years old or younger on August 31st, 2023.
** PLEASE NOTE ** Players of younger age classification MAY play in older age classifications, but an older age classification player MAY NOT play in the younger age classification.
(Riptide Costs Generally Range from $800 – $1100)
*Riptide players are required to register for Recreational Spring Softball. Players in age groups 12U , 14U, and 16U are NOT required to play, but are still required to register. Players in younger age groups ARE required to both register for and participate in Spring Recreational Softball.
** As of July 5th, 2023, it is estimated that Recreational Softball signup fees will remain the same at $125 for early birds and $150 for standard registration. **
(If cost is a factor that will prevent your athlete from participating in the Riptide program, please reach out to SAU16Softball@gmail.com for more information).
The Riptide package will include:
- 1 fall shirt/jersey
- 2 Pairs of socks
- 2 jerseys
- 2 pants
- 1 helmet
- 1 helmet sticker
- 6-7 tournaments
- 1-2 Fall tournament
- 8-12 90-minute indoor workouts between November – March
- 3-6 Indoor games January – March
Once a player accepts an offer to play on one of the Riptide teams, they will be provided information on how to register via the Sports Engine platform. An initial deposit of $300 is due at the time of registration. All remaining fees are required to be paid in full by November 1, 2024 as we will be quickly securing and paying for indoor time, tournaments, and ordering uniforms.
Spring Recreational Softball registration requirements:
- In order to maintain compliance with our governing body, Babe Ruth Softball, all players at the 10U & 8U age levels are required to register for and play spring recreational softball.
- At the 12U, 14U, and 16U age levels, all players are required to register for and pay the spring recreational softball fee. However, because many of these players also play for their middle or high school teams, they are given the option to “opt out” of actually playing in the recreational season in order to prevent overscheduling and burnout. This option also maintains compliance with Babe Ruth rules at the 12U and 14U levels.
- Partner Town Players only: Players from our partner towns will continue to register and play spring recreational softball for their hometowns. They will still need to register with SAU16 Softball and pay a $25 fee which covers their Babe Ruth registration and league insurance.